Website Design and Development
The university has officially adopted Drupal as the standard for departmental websites needing the added functionality of a database driven website. Drupal is a powerful and flexible open-source content management system that lets users more easily manage the content on their Web sites.
We provide website design and development services within constraints of limited capacity on the basis of organizational priority. Other needs can be met through use of outside vendors.
Before beginning a new web project or a redesign of an existing website, we request that you contact Beth Armour (email@example.com) to help guide you through determining how best to meet your online needs.
Working with outside vendors on Drupal websites
When working with an outside vendor on a Drupal website project, please follow the guidelines listed below:
- Contact Beth Armour (firstname.lastname@example.org) BEFORE beginning a Drupal web project so that she can work with IT to plan for installation of a Drupal site on the CNS development server, coordinate with vendor and schedule for launch on the CNS production server.
- It is required that the vendor will:
- use only modules vetted by CNS prior to the site going into production. Contact Andy Slocombe (andys@cns,umass.edu) to request any modules not currently on our server;
- design with portability in mind, using relative paths, to insure a smooth transition between development, test, and production environments;
- use the CNS hosted development server when developing a Drupal website to verify site functionality and compliance with CNS Drupal configuration;
- adhere to the UMass Amherst Web Identity Guidelines as described on the University Relations Web site when designing a theme.
Free web stats service provided by Google. We can assist with account creation for Google Analytics and installation of analytics code on websites. We’ll provide site maintainer with access to analytics data, and support documentation links at Google.com. Contact: Beth Armour (email@example.com)
Guidelines for writing for the web
We have put together guidelines to help you with writing content for the Web that will best support and help your Web site visitors find useful information as quickly as possible.