The joy of 4-H is seeing young people grow through their accomplishments.
4-H enables youth to reach their fullest potential through:
- Developing life skills.
- Experiential education.
- Utilizing the knowledge of the land-grant university system.
Youth learn by doing!
4-H allows youth to have fun, meet new people, learn new skills, build self confidence, develop responsibility, and set and achieve goals!
This is done through membership in a 4-H club, a group of young people who meet on a regular basis with a caring adult volunteer to guide and mentor them.
4-H Builds the Leaders of Tomorrow
- Members, male and female, range in age from 5 to 18.
- 4-H starts at the club level, and then offers youth opportunities at the county, state, and national levels.
- 4-H offers a wide range of projects, programs and activities that every member can do.
- Parents, volunteers, community leaders, and Extension staff share their time and talents with 4-H youth. Being part of the University of Massachusetts and the nationwide land-grant system, 4-H has access to the latest research, resulting in project curriculum and cutting edge information.
- 4-H members and leaders get involved in community service in their local communities as well as contributing to statewide service projects.
4-H members pledge:
“My head to clearer thinking,” learning planning, organizing and decision making skills.
“My heart to greater loyalty,” developing teamwork skills and compassion for others.
“My hands to larger service,” participating in community service projects to benefit others in need.
“My health to better living,” building self-confidence, developing responsibility and other important life skills.
4-H activities are held at locations throughout the state and include. . .
- Fairs where youth exhibit their 4-H projects.
- Camps (in Goshen, Spencer, Ashby, Georgetown and Mashpee).
- Public speaking competitions, called Visual Presentations, at the local and state levels.
- Workshops on topics of interest such as photography, science and nutrition.
- Opportunities for teen members to attend national 4-H events such as National 4-H Congress and National 4-H Conference.
- 4-H Babysitting training courses.
- Educational programs for members held on the UMass Amherst campus.
- And much more!!!