Production Water (irrigation, crop sprays, frost protection): Major Points
1. How frequently will I be required to test my water?
According to the Produce Rule....
2. What laboratories should I take the sample too?
These labs are state-certified to perform EPA 1603
3. What test will the lab perform?
EPA Method 1603 - An enumerative E. coli test.
However - Any other enumerative test for generic E. coli will also suffice for now.
4. How much does an individual test cost?
$25 to $40 per sample.
5. What is the CFU range that my water is safe?
A Geometric Mean that is 126 or less CFUs of E. coli per 100 mL water
A Statistical Threshold Value that is 410 or less CFUs generic E. coli per 100 mL water
6. What do I do if my water exceeds the GM or STV limits?
1. For produce wash water, what is the safe microbial range?
2. Where should I dump waste water?
3. How often should I monitor recirculating wash water for E. coli and pH?