We encourage you to join us and participate in an upcoming 1-day Train-the-Trainer session for a project supported by the USDA Food Safety Outreach Program titled, “Food Safety Management Training for Small and Emerging Food Businesses: Integrating a Food Safety Culture from Concept to Commercialization”. The project aims to develop and implement a sustainable food safety training program customized to small and emerging food businesses (SEFB) that will help increase their knowledge in food safety and enable entrepreneurial success in the marketplace.
This training intends to increase market opportunities for locally produced food products by providing food safety training relevant to food product development. In order to provide technical support across the region, we are recruiting lead trainers across the region that can provide this training to SEFB within extension, regional food processing centers, food hubs and through other food system channels. We are hoping that through your help, we can provide the technical food safety support small and emerging food businesses need for success.
- Chapter 1: Introduction: Course introduction and expectations
- Chapter 2: Food Safety Hazards: Understanding food safety hazards and identifying potential sources.
- Chapter 3: Product Development Life Cycle: Product development considerations from concept to commercialization.
- Chapter 4: Product Labeling: Guidance for basic nutritional labeling and claims.
- Chapter 5: Controlling Food Quality and Safety: Measurable approaches to monitoring the properties of your food product.
- Chapter 6: Food Safety Management: Introduction to regulatory bodies and the FDA Preventive Controls for Human Food Rule.
- Chapter 7: Hazard Analysis: Conducting a hazard analysis for your food product
- Chapter 8: Preventive Controls: Identification of Preventive Controls, and the requirements for implementation.
As a participant in the T-t-T session, you are committed to:
- Review the program slide materials ahead of time. The content will be issued to you electronically, no later than Wednesday, September 16th.
- Be present, engaged, and share webcam feed for the entirety of the training course.
- Complete the program evaluations to provide critical feedback about the program
- Consider hosting this new course in your respective state