This workshop is Part 1 of a 2-part soils workshop, but you do not need to attend both parts. Part 2 will be held in Brattleboro, VT on February 28, 2019. Click here for information about Part 2: Soil Health, Cover Cropping, & Nutrient Management Planning.
Attendees of Part 1 of this workshop will:
- Learn about soil testing techniques and tour the UMass Soil & PLant Nutrient Testing Lab
- Learn about soil health assessment methods from Brandon Smith, NRCS National Soil Health Team Leader
- Practice basic soil monitoring techniques you can do on your farm, including pH and electrical conductivity testing
- Learn to interpret soil test results
- Create a nutrient management plan for next season for at least one field on your farm
Workshop is limited to 25 attendees.
- Katie Campbell-Nelson, Extension Educator, UMass Vegetable Program
- Tracy Allen, UMass Soil Testing Laboratory
- Brandon Smith, NRCS National Soil Health Team Leader
Registration: Click here to register for this event online.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Friday, February 22, 12:00noon
$30, includes lunch and parking. Limited to 25 attendees. Pre-registration required. To register by phone, please call the UMass Vegetable Program at (413) 577-3976.
Mail payment or pay at the door. Bulk payments may be made if you are attending more than one workshop in this series or if you are paying for multiple attendees. Please make checks out to "UMass" and send to:UMass Extension Vegetable Program
230 Stockbridge Rd.
French Hall Room 306
Amherst, MA 01003
Questions? Contact the UMass Vegetable Program, email@example.com, (413) 577-3976.
UMass Extension Vegetable Program 2019 Winter Workshop Series
This workshop is part of the UMass Extension Vegetable Program's 2019 winter workshop series. For more information on the other workshops in this series, see the links below.
Tuesday, February 12, 2019: Disease Biology & Management
Tuesday, February 19, 2019: Insect Biology & Management
Thursday, February 28, 2019: Soils Part 2: Soil Health, Cover Cropping, & Nutrient Management Planning
Tuesday, March 5, 2019: Funding Opportunities for Your Farm
Tuesday, March 12, 2019: Food Safety Planning