Soil and Plant Nutrient Testing Laboratory
Why Test Soil?
Here are five good reasons!
- Nutrient levels - Test results provide you with soil nutrient levels and fertilizer recommendations when needed.
- Soil Acidity - Soil pH and exchangeable acidity are measured for the determination of lime requirements.
- Environmental Protection - Test results identify areas with excess nutrients that can pollute local waterways.
- Economics - You buy soil amendments only when needed, avoiding unnecessary spending.
- Health - Soil testing can help protect you and your family by alerting you to elevated levels of lead or other toxic heavy metals.
Soil tests do not identify plant growth problems associated with soil drainage, insects, plant diseases (whether soil-borne or not), weeds, winter injury or the misuse of pesticides.
We are operating with reduced staffing and appreciate your patience and understanding.
What we can analyze:
We are currently accepting new orders for ROUTINE SOIL ANALYSIS (including optional Organic Matter, Soluble Salts, and Nitrate testing) and PARTICLE SIZE ANALYSIS orders ONLY. Please do not send orders for other types of analyses at this time.
How we can receive samples:
We are currently unable to accept most hand-delivered orders for analysis. If you have 30 or more samples, please email email@example.com or call 413-545-2311 to arrange a contactless dropoff outside our building. All other orders must be mailed through the USPS, UPS, FedEx, or other private carrier. On-campus orders may be delivered to the lab via Campus Mail.
When you can expect results:
As always, updates on our turn-around time will be posted here. Unless your test results are long overdue, please check this link periodically for updates rather than contacting the lab, as responding to inquiries leaves less time for processing samples.