TickTalk with TickReport Webinars
Welcome to our TickTalk with TickReport Webinar Series
A FREE series brought to you by the UMass Laboratory of Medical Zoology and UMass Extension
TickTalk with TickReport is back for 2020! Each month we will hear from Dr. Stephen Rich and the Laboratory of Medical Zoology (LMZ)! TickTalk in 2020 will also feature exciting guest speakers on tick topics that you told us were important to YOU. The series will include seasonality and life stages of ticks (key to planning intervention and prevention), emerging or invasive tick species, how ticks use vegetation and leaf litter throughout their life cycle, increasing fears of Alpha-gal allergies (allergies to certain meat and animal-related products), dispelling myths of tick control, and many more. Mosquito concerns, including life cycle, behavior, and EEE infection, will also be addressed and Dr. Rich will discuss the tens of thousands of mosquitoes the LMZ tests each year for a range of viruses. Tune in the 2nd Wednesday of the month!
Preregistration is required to access the webinars. To be notified of upcoming webinar dates and topics, join our e-mail list at: https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/email-list
NOTE REGARDING TICK TESTING: TickReport at the UMass Laboratory of Medical Zoology is open and accepting tick samples for testing. For more details on how to submit samples, go to https://www.tickreport.com.
2020 WEBINAR SCHEDULE
7/8/20 - Biology of Powassan and Other Tick-borne Viruses
Dr. Stephen Rich, Professor of Microbiology and Director of the UMass Laboratory of Medical Zoology, and Dr. Saravanan Thangamani, Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY discuss what is currently known about tick-borne viruses, including Powassan virus. Dr. Thangamani studies the serosurveillance of vector-borne (tick and mosquito) diseases including the effect of co-infection on the clinical outcome of Lyme disease and Powassan encephalitis.
Aug-December topics TBD - 2nd Wednesday of the month
ARCHIVED WEBINARS (see links below)
- Seasonal Variation in Activity and Abundance of Human-biting Ticks (2/12/20)
- Tick Behavior: Finding Hosts and Feeding (3/11/20)
- An Update from TickReport (4/8/20)
- Ticks & Red Meat Allergies: The Latest Science (5/13/20 )
- Tick Management and Control (6/10/20)
- Ticks And Personal Protection (2/13/19)
- Deer Ticks (Ixodes scapularis) and Associated Diseases (3/13/19)
- 2018/2019 Tick Update From the UMass Laboratory of Medical Zoology (LMZ) (4/10/19)
- American Dog Ticks (Dermacentor variabilis) and Lonestar Ticks (Amblyomma americanum) and Associated Diseases (5/8/19)
- 2019 Tick & EEE Update From the UMass Laboratory of Medical Zoology (LMZ) (10/9/19)