UMass Extension's Garden Calendar
A renewal of a long-standing annual tradition… a useful, stimulating, and educational monthly calendar from UMass Extension.
Our knowledgeable Extension specialists have curated the latest collection of uplifting images of garden and landscape plants well-suited for the Northeast. Each date features a timely, research-based tip such as when to plant peas, how to care for garden tools, or proper watering of houseplants.
FEATURED ARTICLE: Gardens, Landscapes, Carbon & Climate Change
On the smaller scale of the backyard, most gardeners strive to make horticultural efforts as responsible and sustainable as possible. An often-overlooked value of the plants we enjoy growing is that they too play a valuable role in carbon mitigation, perhaps a larger role than we expect.
Persistent vegetation, vigorous and consistent organic matter turnover, healthy microbial populations, and minimal soil disturbance all promote maximum carbon storage. Each of these can be enhanced with some thoughtful gardening approaches.
Our 2023 calendar includes helpful tips on choosing plant materials, promoting soil health, and useful management practices for pitching in and enhancing the carbon fixation and storage happens right outside your door.
SOLD OUT - Thank you to everyone who ordered our 2023 UMass Garden Calendar, we are now sold out! Check back in September for info about the 2024 calendar.
About the Calendar
Give it as a gift and enjoy one yourself all year...
Each month of UMass Extension's Garden Calendar features:
- One large, inspiring garden image plus information about the image
- Daily gardening tips for Northeast growing conditions
- Daily sunrise and sunset times*
- Phases of the moon
- Plenty of room for notes
- Low gloss paper for easy writing
The UMass Garden calendar is a wall calendar. The dimensions of the calendar when open are 12.5" wide x 19" long.
View a sample page from the 2023 UMass Garden Calendar
View sample image thumbnails from the 2023 UMass Garden Calendar
A sample date from UMass Extension's 2023 Garden Calendar
* Sunrise and sunset times may differ from location to location within New England because of slight differences in latitude and longitude. Times used in this calendar are for Worcester, Mass. Moon phases, solstices, and equinoxes are in Eastern Standard Time.
Do you have a question on a home garden topic?
- Check out the links at http://ag.umass.edu/resources/home-lawn-garden for fact sheets, services, and additional resources for home gardeners.
- E-mail specific home garden and landscape questions to email@example.com. Include a detailed photo if possible.
Proceeds from sales of our UMass Garden Calendar benefit the work of UMass Extension's educational programs.