Position available: Skilled Laborer
Online application is available here.
Under the direction of the Assistant to Farm Superintendent, perform tasks related to maintenance of the State Bog and Rocky Pond Bogs (approx. 18 acres), maintenance of buildings, grounds, equipment and greenhouse at the Cranberry Station, implementation of research projects on the farm and in the greenhouse. Perform other related duties as required. Under the direction of the Assistant to the Farm Superintendent, incumbent is responsible for performing tasks related to:
Maintenance and operation of State Bog and Rocky Pond Bog, and greenhouse:
- Irrigation -pumps, head, pipes - operation and maintenance
- Drainage and water containment system - maintenance of ditches, dikes and flumes
- Frost protection - run irrigation to protect from frost
- Weed management - hockey-stick weed piping, hand weeding, application of herbicides
- Fertilizer applications
- Pesticide applications; Integrated Pest Management (IPM) monitoring (sweep nets, etc.)
- Harvest - bed prep and assist with harvest
- Flood management including winter flood
- Operate farm truck between State Bog and Rocky Pond site
- Operate farm equipment (eg. front end loader, side arm mover, sander, excavator)
- Greenhouse maintenance, including weed and pest management, irrigation system, fans
Grounds and facility management:
- General upkeep of grounds - mow lawns, clip hedges; pruning, mowing and spraying of blueberry patch
- Snow removal - paths and walkways
- Minor repairs (eg. painting, rough carpentry, irrigation system)
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs for vehicles/equipment
- Assist faculty projects (eg. simple carpentry, plumbing)
Perform other related duties as required.
- Agricultural experience
- Valid Driver's License
- Experience with equipment ? eg. tractor, forklift, loader, excavator, bog sander
Minimum enterance requirements:
- Experience in agriculture - at least 2 years of full-time or equivalent part-time experience on farms, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- High School diploma.
- Ability to communicate and follow written and oral directions.
License and/or certification requirements:
- Valid Driver's License
- Must have or acquire a MA Pesticide Applicator Certification
This position is located at the Cranberry Station in East Wareham, MA
Some work after hours to participate in seasonal frost management is required. Agricultural experience in cranberry horticulture preferred.
On-Campus applicants are defined as Amherst Campus non-student employees
The University of Massachusetts is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, the University of Massachusetts is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the University of Massachusetts to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.