This event is CANCELLED. Stay tuned for virtual/socially distanced workshops this winter!
Learn how to FIGHT THE MITE! This full-day, interactive workshop, co-hosted by the MDAR Apiary Team and UMass Extension, will leave you prepared to control Varroa in your hives.
It will include:
- Vital information on VARROA LIFE HISTORY AND BIOLOGY
- INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT (IPM) basics, considerations for Varroa mites and opportunity to create your own IPM plan
- Introduction to and hands-on demos of SAFETY EQUIPMENT needed when applying miticides
- Introduction to and hands-on demos showing how to safely APPLY MITICIDES AND NON-CHEMICAL CONTROLS OPTIONS
- Participants will be challenged with real world beekeeper driven case studies, in which they will make mite management decisions by creating an IPM PLAN and demonstrate to class
The cost of the workshop is $50. Please pay at the door with cash or check. Included in your registration:
- Bee-themed T-SHIRT
- Varroa mite sampling jar
- Varroa mite IPM brochure and other related information to assist you in sustainable management
Please bring lunch, or plan to purchase it at the UMass Mt. Ida Dining Hall.
This workshop is TENTATIVELY planned for Oct 2020, contingent on social distancing recommendations.
To sign up, email Hannah Whitehead at firstname.lastname@example.org