Back to top

Information About Accessing Research Funds

Who is eligible for research funds from the Mass. Agricultural Experiment Station?

To qualify for Experiment Station funds, you must be a faculty member in one of our 12 affiliated academic departments.  If your research fits with one of the federal programs for which we administer funds (see below), you should inquire with your department head about developing an Experiment Station project proposal. Department heads determine whether you are eligible, the amount of funds you will have access to, and the number of years your project can be active.  Before you begin writing your proposal, Department Heads must indicate their support for all investigators (Principal and Co-Investigators) who will be included in the proposal by sending an email to William Miller (

The following UMass departments are eligible to apply for research funds through the MA Experiment Station:

  • Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
  • Biology
  • Cranberry Station
  • Environmental Conservation
  • Food Science
  • Geological Sciences
  • Landscape Architecture & Regional Planning
  • Microbiology
  • Nutrition
  • Resource Economics
  • Stockbridge School of Agriculture
  • Veterinary and Animal Sciences

Federal Funds Administered by the Mass. Agricultural Experiment Station

Hatch Funds

The scope of the agricultural research which may be conducted under the Hatch Act is very broad.  It includes research on all aspects of agriculture, including soil and water conservation and use; plant and animal production, protection and health; processing, distribution, safety, marketing, and utilization of food and agricultural products; forestry, including range management and range products; multiple use of forest rangelands, and urban forestry; aquaculture; home economics and family life; human nutrition; rural and community development; sustainable agriculture; molecular biology and biotechnology.  Research may be conducted on problems of local, state, regional or national concern.

Hatch Multistate Funds

The multistate research program enables research on high priority topics among the State Agricultural Experiment Stations (SAES) in partnership with NIFA, other research institutions and agencies, and with the Cooperative Extension Service.  In this way, technological opportunities and complex problem solving activities which are beyond the scope of a Single Experiment Station, can be approached in a more efficient and comprehensive way.

McIntire Stennis (Forestry) Funds

The term “forestry research” as used in this Act shall include investigations relating to:

  1. Reforestation and management of land for production of crops of timber and other related products of the forest;
  2. Management of forest and related watershed lands to improve conditions of waterflow and to protect resources against floods and erosion,
  3. Management of forest and related rangeland for production of forage for domestic livestock and game and improvement of food and habitat for wildlife;
  4. Management of forest lands for outdoor recreation;
  5. Protection of forest land and resources against fire, insects, diseases or other destructive agents;
  6. Utilization of wood and other forest products;
  7. Development of sound policies for the management of forest lands and marketing of forest products; and
  8. Such other studies as may be necessary to obtain the fullest and most effective use of forest resources.

Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Policy

Support and resources provided by the MA Experiment Station are allocated in accordance with the equal opportunity and non-discrimination policies of the Center for Agriculture, Food, and the Environment

Developing a Proposal

If you meet the eligibility requirements stated above and your research is consistent with the funds administered by the station, contact your department head for approval. If your department head approves, contact Willian Miller (