UMass Extension offers workshops on pollinator health and honey bee management. Check out our 2019 programs:
April 6 - Honey Bees Under the Microscope 10am-4pm (Amherst, MA)
Dissect a bee to learn about honey bee internal and external anatomy.
- Quick Details: 10am-4pm, $45 fee covers materials and lunch. Click here for more information, and to register.
May 4 – Fight the Mite! 9am-3pm (Amherst, MA)
Learn how to FIGHT THE MITE! This full-day, interactive workshop, co-hosted by the MDAR Apiary Team and UMass Extension, will leave you prepared to control Varroa in your hives. It will include:
- HANDS-ON DEMOS showing how to apply miticides and use non-chemical tools.
- Demos of proper SAFETY procedures.
- Practice creating an INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT (IPM) plan.
- Participants will be challenged with a HANDS-ON CASE STUDY, in which they will have to make mite management decisions and apply mock chemicals. The best plan wins an APIARY DIAGNOSTIC KIT, so bring your best management ideas!!!!
The cost of the workshop is $40. Please pay at the door with cash or check. Included in your registration:
- Bee-themed T-SHIRT
- The chance to win an apiary diagnostic kit!
- To register, visit the event page here.
June 2 - Forage for Pollinators (led by Tom Sullivan of Pollinators Welcome)More details coming soon!
July 27 – Varroa IPM: Learn how to Fight the Mite! (second date - alternate location)
November 2 – Honey Bees Under the Microscope (second date - alternate location)
Other Summer/Fall 2019 Workshops (dates TBD):
- Non-Chemical Varroa Mite Management Tools
- Understanding Nectar Flows
- Planting for Pollinators