UMass Extension offers workshops on honey bee health, biology and management.
Check out our upcoming workshops:
Honey Bees Under the Microscope
Dissect a bee to learn about honey bee internal and external anatomy
Topics covered: how to use a dissecting microscope, how to dissect a bee, how to identify internal and external bee anatomy
Each participant takes home a dissecting kit! (includes forceps, pins, petri dish, etc. - everything but the microscope :))
$50 fee covers dissecting kits, handouts and light refreshments. Bring your own lunch.
- November 2, 2019 - Gordon College (Wenham MA) - FULL (email Hannah Whitehead at email@example.com to be added to the waitlist)
- March 7, 2020 - UMass Amherst (Amherst MA) - Sign up HERE
- April 4, 2020 - Central MA, Location TBD - Sign up HERE
Fight the Mite!
This full-day, interactive workshop, co-hosted by the MDAR Apiary Team and UMass Extension, will leave you prepared to control Varroa in your hives. It will include:
- HANDS-ON DEMOS showing how to apply miticides and use non-chemical tools.
- Demos of proper SAFETY procedures.
- Practice creating an INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT (IPM) plan.
- Participants will be challenged with a HANDS-ON CASE STUDY, in which they will have to make mite management decisions and apply mock chemicals.
- 9am-5pm (full day, bring lunch!)
- Each participant will bring home an alcohol wash kit, safety goggles, a folder with mite management materials and a bee-themed t-shirt
- $50 cost covers equipment, print materials, t-shirts and light refreshments
- May 2, 2020 - UMass Amherst (Amherst MA) - Sign up HERE
Photos from past workshops!
Honey Bees Under the Microscope, April 6
Fight the Mite, May 4