Plant Diagnostics Laboratory
Diagnosis of plant problems is the first step in an effective and economic management program. We serve farmers, greenhouse producers, landscape contractors, turf managers, arborists, nurseries, and others in agriculture and the green industries. Each diagnosis includes a written report with pest management strategies that are research based, economically sound, and environmentally appropriate for the situation.
Diagnostic Sample Submission:
- A completed Sample Submission Form is required for each specimen. Diagnostic sample submission forms for different crops, along with instructions on taking samples, can be accessed by following the links in the sidebar. Accurate diagnosis requires both a representative sample and sufficient information about the cultural practices and environmental conditions associated with the problem. No sample will be diagnosed without a completed submission form.
- There is a fee per specimen (or particular problem) payable to the University of Massachusetts, and the appropriate fee must accompany each sample.
- The UMass Extension Plant Diagnostic Lab will send a written report when a conclusion has been reached on the diagnosis or identification. Detailed management recommendations are included with diagnoses.
- For proper diagnosis, specimens must be received in good condition. Hand-deliver samples if possible, or send them by the fastest means available. Include accompanying information (such as photos, etc.) regarding the symptoms that are of particular concern to you. Federal Express, UPS, and Priority Mail through the U.S. Postal Service deliver directly to the building.
Address packages to:
UMass Extension Plant Diagnostic Lab
#3 French Hall, 230 Stockbridge Road, Amherst, MA 01003
(413) 545-3208 - fax (413) 545-4385
Use exact address to ensure delivery.