Back to top

Risk Management/Crop Insurance Education Program


Massachusetts Aquaculture producers have a wide variety of option to insure their aquaculture crops and/or their farm revenue.

Clam Insurance policy

Massachusetts Quahog producers can purchase a crop insurance policy to insure their crop from losses due to natural disasters (Aquaculture Fact Sheet).  Growers can insure from 50% up to 75% of their potential crop at a minimum of 55% up to 100% of the established price.  The sales closing date for a clam insurance policy is November 30th.

Revenue Insurance Policies

Massachusetts Aquaculture growers also have an option of purchasing a revenue based policy. Whole Farm Revenue Protection (WFRP) is a policy that can protect crop against low revenue due to unavoidable natural disasters and/or market fluctuations.  WFRP Fact Sheet

Where can you purchase a clam policy

Federal Crop Insurance is sold by private crop insurance agents. Visit this link to find a crop insurance agent in Massachusetts.

Non-Insured Disaster Assistance Program (NAP)

Growers of aquaculture crops, except Quahogs, can purchase coverage for their aquaculture products through the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) Non-Insured Disaster Assistance Program.  NAP provides catastrophic coverage at 50% of the inventory at 55% of the established FSA price.  Growers can purchase higher levels of coverage (50%, 55%, 60% or 65%) of their inventory at 100% of the FSA established price.  The deadlinbe to purchase NAP coverage is September 30th.  For more information visit your local FSA office