Managing a honey bee colony is complex and fascinating. Here are some resources to help you manage colony growth and prepare for winter
- The University of Guelph has a really excellent video series. I've also listed invidiual videos in the topic areas below. Note: many of the individuals in these videos do not wear veils. Unless you are very experienced, it is recommended that you wear a veil when opening a hive.
- Check out Beekeeping calendar for the Northeast from the Cornell Bee Lab
- Ohio State offers a popular webinar, where they bring in experts to lecture about bees
- For a diverse collection of resources on bee health, check out eXtension.org.
- Check out workshops offered by UMass, and other intermediate/advanced bee courses offered by organizations Massachusetts.
Managing Growth (Swarming, Splitting and Supering)
Queen Management (and Queen Rearing)
- Written Resource: Check out Larry Connor's Queen Rearing Essentials
- Video: The University of Guelph has videos on:
- Workshops: Check out queen rearing workshops offered through Warm Colors Apiary, Wetlands Apiaries or MDAR