Day 1 of a three-part program.
This three-day training will bring together Scolytinae taxonomy experts from federal agencies and universities to provide a small group of participants with hands-on, one-on-one training on how to identify specimens to genus and species in this difficult subfamily of insects. Special topics related to bark beetles will be discussed, including but not limited to detection, monitoring, and prediction systems for the bark beetles and information about their complex fungal associates. Microscopes and specimens will be provided for this identification-focused training. This training is designed for professionals dealing with the Scolytinae on a regular basis who have some prior entomological and microscopy training. This includes state, federal, and private industry employees along with students and enthusiasts.
Individuals are encouraged to attend all three days to make the most out of this unique training opportunity!
Preregistration required as space is limited; the cost is $300 for the 3-day series, individual day rates are $100/each for days 1 & 3 and $150 for day 2. Online registrations include an additional service fee.
|To register by mail with check or PO:||To register online with a credit card:|
|Enter online registration system|
The following are details on discounted accommodations that have been arranged for this event. Participants are responsible for all costs – hotel reservations and any additional charges incurred. Hotel blocks have been reserved for your convenience, however it is not necessary for you to reserve at either of these locations if you find a venue that better suits your needs.
1 Campus Center Way
Amherst, MA 01003
- Holding 26 rooms, per night, Monday August 7 – Thursday August 10, 2017.
- Group rate (reduced, but not government rate): $179.00 + taxes and fees.
- Individuals are required to call in, provide the group code = BBI17C, and make their own reservations and payments (*Note that the ”I” following BB in the group code is a capital letter “i”).
- As indicated above, the group code is BBI17C . Guests can use this code to make their reservations by either calling the hotel directly at 413-549-6000 or going online to http://www.hotelumass.com and entering in their dates of stay and the group code where it says “PROMO” on the home page.
- Any rooms not reserved by July 10, 2017 will be released back “to the public” and rooms and the above rate will not be guaranteed.
- Reservations include 1 parking pass to the Campus Center Parking Garage per room per night.
- Check-in is at 3:00 PM and Check-out is at 11:00 AM
Holiday Inn Express and Suites:
400 Russell Street
Hadley, MA 01035
- Holding 20 rooms, per night, Monday August 7 – Thursday August 10, 2017.
- Group rate (government rate): $110.00 + taxes and fees; participants must show a valid state or federal government employee ID upon check-in or check-out.
- Individuals are required to call in (413-582-0002), indicate affiliation with the Bark Beetle Identification Training, and make their own reservations and payments or to visit the following link: http://bit.ly/2pBIqEZ ; once you enter the dates (August 7- August 10) a Group Code (BBI) will appear in the Group Code box. Hit check availability and a rate of $110.00 will be displayed next to the heading “Bark Beetle Identification” if any rooms are still available at the time you register. Please call 413-582-0002 if you have any issues with this process or questions.
- Any rooms not reserved by July 8, 2017 will be released back “to the public” and rooms and the above rate will not be guaranteed.
- Parking is provided at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites; participants are responsible for the commute from the hotel to the University (Fernald Hall; approximately a 5 minute drive).
- Check-in is at 3:00 PM and Check-out is at 11:00 AM.
One pesticide contact hour for categories 35, 36 and Applicators License available for Days 1 & 3. Two pesticide contact hours for categories 35, 36 and Applicators License available for Day 2. Contact hours are valid for equivalent categories in all New England states.
Association credits: 3.5 ISA, 1 MCA, 1 MCH, 1 MCLP and 3 SAF available.