Youth learn by doing!
4-H allows youth to have fun, meet new people, learn new skills, build self confidence, develop responsibility, and set and achieve goals!
This is done through membership in a 4-H club, a group of young people who meet on a regular basis with a caring adult volunteer to guide and mentor them.
The joy of 4-H is seeing young people grow through their accomplishments.
4-H enables youth to reach their fullest potential through:
- Developing life skills.
Public speaking competitions, called Visual Presentations, at the local and state levels.
Goals Setting for their projects and keeping record
- Participating in Experiential education.
4-H offers a wide range of projects, programs and activities that every member can do.
Engaging in community service in their local communities as well as contributing to statewide service projects.
Practicing Leadership Skills by holding office, using Roberts Rule and working with younger youth.
For over 100 years, Massachusetts 4-H has been providing young people the opportunity to do that work, to work on their personal growth and development in a positive environment. Research shows that 4-H members are likely to excel in school, lead their peers and give to their communities. Massachusetts 4-H is a great place to be!
Massachusetts 4-H Year Highlights (Yearly Calendar)
September 1st - Begins the New 4-H Year in Massachusetts
- Families Re-enroll
- Clubs start plans for the New Year
- 4-H Records are submitted on previous year’s activities
- Members set goals for New Year
- National 4-H Week is the First Full Week of October
- Tractor Supply Clover Campaign held in October
- National SET Challenge kicks off October 1st
- Recognition Events Begin
- Winter Forum Workshops
- Rabbit and Poultry Workshops
- Members work on and practice Visual Presentations and local competitions held
- County Horse Competitions (Horse Bowl Hippology)
- State Visual Presentation Contest Held
- Animal Science Workshops and Academies Held
- Spring Tractor Supply Campaign held
- State Horse Competitions
- Teen Leadership Retreat (every other year)
- Explore UMass Amherst
- State Photography Contest
- Fairs (Start late June-early October)